“Culture is to recruiting as product is to marketing” ~ HubSpot’s Culture Code
Any effective leader knows his or her company’s success depends upon not just a vision or product, but the people who carry out the vision and build the product day in and day out – their employees. That’s why the most successful companies foster cultures that allow their employees to thrive and grow. We’ve compiled a few links to get you started.
- IGNIA’s ABC’s of Talent & Culture, by IGNIA.
- How to Build a Start-up Culture: 5 Dos & Don’ts and 5 Heuristics, by Ozan Dagdeviren.
- How to write your values, by Twilio and First Round Review.
- Never, ever compromise: hiring for culture fit, by Elad Gil.
- Patreon, Netflix, Hubspot, and 11 others.
- On Zoom: Creative Morning’s comprehensive guide to hosting virtual events and an infographic from IGNIA.
As Your Company Grows
- Give away your legos and other commandments for scaling start-ups, by First Round Review.
- How to scale a start-up to 50 people without losing your culture, by Joe Procopio.
- How your culture needs to shift as you grow from 2-200 people, by Reboot.
Leadership & Management
- IGNIA’s guide to giving effective feedback, by IGNIA.
- re:Work is Google’s portal on all things management, culture, and human resources.
- How to build a manager user guide, by First Round Review.
- Performance review guide & templates, by First Round Review.
- For delegation to work, it has to come with coaching, by HBR.
- Great 3-part series on implementing lean OKRs, by World Positive.
- Essentials: Management, by First Round Review.
Leadership Books We Like:
- The Leadership Challenge, by James Kouzes & Barry Posner.
- FYI: For Your Improvement (a list of leadership competencies), by Michael Lombardo & Robert Eichinger. Eventually adapted into the Korn Ferry Leadership Architecture.